2017 Monthly Prompts: Any of these prompts could be responded to in a single journal entry or with multiple entries.
Any questions on any of these prompts please ask.
1. Intentions- What are your intentions for the coming year? January 2017
2. Documenting Kindness- When have you received or given kindness? February 2017
3.For this prompt journal about where and when you feel the most comfortable, how you feel when you have left your comfort zone, and finally what comfort zone barriers would you like to go beyond. March 2017
4. Inspiration that leads to imagination. Create an inspiration journal and/or a journal page or digital entry starting with your inspiration that gave you your idea for creating, Imagination! April 2017
5.Create a vision board May 2017
6.Spreading kindness through Abandoning Art
Creating things like bookmarks, Artist Trading Cards and leaving them in public spaces.The creations would have positive messages on them. June 2017
7. Being mindful of my creative process. Respond to statements such as:Never compare yourself to other artist. Base your success on how your art has enriched your life and how you feel when you create it. July 2017
8. Create Affirmation Cards. These are cards where you write positive statements. Such as I am creative. August 2017
9. Share your wisdom and knowledge by creating a book that contains things like recipes, how tos and wisdom you have learned from your own experience. This prompt used for it’s inspiration Still Room books. September 2017
10. A thought a day. I used tags for this prompt, you could also use a notebook or a journal. It is simply what ever thought you wanted to remember on any given day. October 2017
11. The prompt asked you to answer a series of questions.
Such as What gets on your nerves? If you could only keep 5 possessions what would those be? Favorite books, songs, movies? How can you show yourself self care? November 2017
12. Getting inspired for the holiday/Winter Season.
Share your recipes,photos of your decorations,ideas for gift wrapping, gift tags,cards and homemade gifts. Decemember 2017
Incorporating concept(s) of Zen Gardening into your art/journal page.Select one or more of the concepts.
1. Kanso-Simplicity equals truth,an elimination of clutter.
2.Fukinsei-Irregularity- creating balance and harmony in composition An example is the Zen circle Enso-an incomplete circle (imperfection of existence
3.Shizen-embracing the natural, absence of the artificial
4. Yugen- Suggesting something rather than revealing, a sense of mystery
5.Datsuzoku- Freedom from habit, in addition sense of wonder
6.Seijaku- Tranquility or an energized calm
7.Shibui-Beautiful by being understated. Also the idea using all the Zen concepts together.
This week’s prompt is recognizing the beauty in everyday objects. There are two parts to this prompt, you can complete one or both.
The first part is finding everyday objects and using these items to create a temporary mandala. A mandala is a symbol of wholeness and our relationship to the rest of the universe, internally and externally.The Mandalas made of sand are swept away after they are finished to show nothing is permanent in life.
The second step is to create a representation in your journal of the temporary mandala that you made. Another option is to print your photo and add that to your journal.
Looking for the everyday objects to use in the creation of your Mandala causes you to really look at the shape and color of each item.The objects I selected to create my mandala are objects i use in my art. I have a connection to these items internally and externally. I imagine things and then create an external version of what I imagined.
This weeks prompt is Writing on Water. Tibetans say that our thoughts can be like writing on water.The thoughts appear and disappear as quickly. When we become aware of our thought patterns we may find this to be true. Awareness can help us practice letting our thoughts appear, observing them and then waiting as they disappear. The point being is that with negative thoughts we don’t need to let ourselves get too attached to them. We have many thoughts that are worth keeping, try to chose which ones you hold onto.
I used a neocolor crayon to write positive thoughts. All these steps were used to reinforce the concepts of the prompt. Thoughts come and go, negative ones aren’t meant to be held onto, we can let them dissolve, disappear and in their place put positive affirming thoughts.
This week’s prompt is “Be Unpredictable, in a good way.” I think that sometimes we pick goals because we know that we are doing things in a very predictable manner and want to change that cycle.To shake things up it can be fun to do something totally unpredictable. I journaled about the prompt by creating a very unpredictable lady. Collaging is an art activity I really enjoy. You can interpret the prompt in whatever way you like! Enjoy and happy creating!
This week’s prompt is ” Take Time” you can decide how much time works for you, maybe 5 or 10 minutes every day where you sit quietly, take a walk, or meditate. On my journal page I have glued 2 pockets. Every day when I take time I will write on one of the 7 cards in the choose dreams pocket, about my 5 to 10 minute experience and then place the completed card in the take time pocket. Hope you will take part in this week’s prompt and take sometime for yourself!